Made With You in Mind
We explore the fabulous world of sequential art and learn how to develop colorful characters and drop them into all sorts of adventures.
Drawing and writing have a lot in common. Both are
- Vehicles for communication
- Ways to express thoughts or stories
- Feature elements like humor or irony
- Vulnerable to share
Engagement is built-in! Our eyes are drawn to the art, and without realizing it, we become absorbed in decoding complex storytelling clues, witty dialogue, and action-packed captions.
In this class, students will:
- Brainstorm to explore character development and plot creation;
- Build skills in story structure and pacing;
- Engage in "thumbnailing" and scriptwriting processes to create a short comic strip;
- Expand their thumbnails into a fully realized mini-comic; and
- Learn tricks of the trade, like why comics artists don't stack panels on the left!
Comic enthusiasts will love getting the inside scoop on how comics are planned and created!
Does my student need to be good at drawing?
Drawing skills are NOT required! We are mindful that some students may not be confident in their drawing ability. The most common type of student we see in this class is the avid COMIC READER, not the “perfect” illustrator.
(You can make captivating comics with stick figures and basic shapes. We encourage it!)
This class is designed for 9-14 year olds, but older comics writers are welcome!
Tap into your superpowers and join us for a fabulous journey into the world of comics!