About Online Classes
Welcome to Brave Writer's online classes! Brave Writer offers you a unique online learning experience via the Brave Writer classroom!
Brave Writer online classes are specially designed with the busy homeschooling, afterschooling, or alternative educating parent in mind.
- last from three to six weeks
- enroll and run on a rolling basis (we have a class starting almost every Monday)
- address a specific writing need
- are facilitated by live instructors
- are asynchronous (don't meet at a particular time of day, available in your time zone at your convenience)
Short classes with rolling enrollment enable you to work around family vacations, out-of-town swim meets, recovering from wisdom teeth removal, and visits from grandparents. Our most popular classes repeat each semester, while others are seasonal.
Class Structure #
Our classes meet in a customized online classroom designed specifically to meet the needs of Brave Writer. Only registered students and the instructor have access to the classroom to ensure your privacy.
Assignments and reading materials are posted by Brave Writer instructors each week (no additional supply fees necessary, unless otherwise indicated). Either you (adult at home) or your child will visit the classroom daily at your convenience to read helpful information about the current topic or to find the writing assignment.
Writing is done at home and then typed into the classroom, and shared with both the instructor and other classmates. Instructor feedback on student writing is offered for all participants to read. Writing questions are welcomed and encouraged! That's the point of class. We aim to give you immediate support as you face writing obstacles.
Our classes take place in writing. We have found writing is most effectively taught through the medium of words. No need to jump online on a particular day at a certain time and be camera-ready for a tiring Zoom call. You're not required to be online at any specific time of the day.
Brave Writer takes seriously the need for encouragement and emotional safety in writing. No student is ever at risk of being humiliated or mistreated. All online dialogue is respectful and supportive of your child's process. This is the core of Brave Writer philosophy. You can read about Brave Writer values here.
Our classes are unlike anything you'll find online. #
What makes our program especially unique in the world of online education is that we value a corporate experience. Rather than teaching your child in an isolated one-on-one format, we prefer students to have the opportunity to both publish their work for an audience (other students) and also to have the chance to read other student writing. In no other setting is this possible. Schools-in-buildings rarely have students read each other's work. Homeschooled children are rarely in a classroom environment to begin with, so the opportunity to read peer-writing is nil.
Our classes provide an utterly unique experience in the world of writing instruction. Since most writers grow through emulation of good writing, it is a real advantage to Brave Writer kids to get the chance to read the writing of their peers. They love it! They get to examine and internalize other ways of writing, analyzing and expressing ideas similar to their own. They have the chance to validate and cheer on their peers. And of course, the best part of all is that they receive the affirmation of kids just like them.
Not only that, all instructor feedback is posted to the classroom for all students to read. That means your kids get the benefit of instructor comments on many papers, not just their own. We've noted that this style of instruction is especially effective and hope you'll test it and agree!
To see inside our classroom, follow these instructions:
1. Log in to class.bravewriter.com. If you are a current student, you’ll need to log out in the upper right corner before proceeding.
2. Log in using these credentials:
Username: [email protected]
3. Next, you will land on our Family Dashboard. There is a Parent icon and a Student icon to represent classes where the parent or the student is the primary participant. Click on Parent to view classes where the parent is the participant (Brave Writer 101, Brave Writer 102, Brave Writer 201, Groovy Grammar Workshop, Nature Journaling, Playing with Poetry, Shakespeare Family Workshop, Animal Stories, Story Switcheroo, Telling Tales). For all other classes, click on Student to view a class.
4. Click on the class name of interest and start reading posts!
Sign up for one of our classes this session! You'll be glad you did.